Sunday, February 16, 2014

Sunday Scribble: Discrimination can be Fun! or Choice is Discrimination!

SUNDAY SCRIBBLE 2/16/2014

Discrimination can be Fun! or Choice is Discrimination!

I have nothing worthwhile to say today.

I just wanted to start off with that, so don't feel like I will be offended if you decide to stop reading at this point.  I absolve you of any guilt you might feel.

So, I promised you all that I would keep this writing as scribbly as possible and avoid anything controversial, I am just warning you - if you DO continue to read, it's at your own risk - and it's not my fault if you are offended.

Good - Now that we have that out of the way.

To choose is to discriminate:

Discrimination.  Let's be honest, we all discriminate.  We all have our prejudices - even if we can't all spell it. Here are some examples:

  • Some of us like nuts in their peanut butter, and others like the creamy kind.  Heck, some of us are just plain nuts.  
  • You either like Opera, or you don't, but you don't HAVE TO like Opera.  
  • Smartphones - I pick a phone - because it's what works best for me - what I want. 
  • Apple vs. Windows - we're not forced to use both.
  • Chocolate chocolate vs White chocolate
  • Jam vs Jelly
  • Grape vs Orange
  • Coke vs Pepsi
  • Caramel vs. Fudge
  • diet vs regular
  • Premium gas vs Regular gas vs High Test gas  (all) vs Diesel


All of these are non entities - right.  But they represent someone who has either made it, created it while working in the field, gains or loses because of our choices.  Someone faces the impact of all of those decisions.  Because I like Skippy over the Acme brand doesn't mean that I hate the people at Acme, it just means I prefer this brand over another.

What is my point.  - First my point is NOT Discrimination against a person based on their personal characteristics is ok - It's simply NOT!  

We made those choices because of many reasons (not all necessarily good reasons):

  • It's what we were exposed to and like (our parents made us eat spinach and we found we still hated it - for example)
  • We took a chance and tried something new on our own (except that whole green goo I tried - stay away from the mystery meat)
  • A pretty girl convinced us to try something (or a handsome guy if you enjoy that)
  • A friend said 'Try this, you'll love it!'
  • The price of this is cheaper than that - so I'm going with my wallet on that.
  • This one is better looking that one - so I'm going to try that.


My point is: It's okay to discriminate in some areas - but know EVERY choice you make has a consequence.   We made those choices because it's what we like, but it's OUR CHOICE - not something that is dictated or demanded.

Choice can be a good thing - but don't be upset if your choice is a bad one.  Too many times I've heard cases of complaintitis where people complain about the choice they made:

  • Who I married
  • What I ate last night
  • Why did I get stuck working with you
  • How long do I have to stay
  • Too many bills
  • 'Yeah, I don't have a job cause I told my boss of.  I know how to do my job better than he/she does'
  • I have a job therefore I have to get up early to work


Hey, it's your bed that you made - now sleep in it.  And keep your complaints to yourself! 

No comments:

Post a Comment