Sunday, March 16, 2014

Sunday Scribble: COMMITMENT to a Cause!

Sunday Scribble
Commitment to a Cause!

A brief trip....

The other day I was driving along and wondering when the next story idea was going to hit me.  And then it did.  I find it funny sometimes how the simplest thing can hit me as a story idea.  Of course it helps I have no specific genre that I haunt around, although the closest one would probably be science fiction, but there's almost an equal push towards simple fiction or what some nose in the sky people might call literary fiction.  

That puts me in an unenviable position of having to make some tough choices when it comes to time management.  For example;  right now I am sitting on a number of potential literary fiction stories because I am working on my latest sci-fi epic story (one of two that I am working on btw)  Which puts me at odds with the three or four stories that are fiction that I haven't been able to work on so far, but have been sitting in the back corner of my 'pile of stuff' to write about.  

Of course, all this vies for time in my busy work day.  Helping out with the Fashion Show, holding down a full time job and of course keeping the family happy, makes for a full full full time lifestyle.  Let's not forget that the work week is a finite resource and that sleeping is more myth on some days then reality.  Throughout this we find ourselves looking for power days.

Power days can be defined as those days when everything seems to come due, or when the big appointments are happening.  I found out recently that I seem to be building a power week in this last week of March. 

During this week I have a meeting in which I have to be very professional, help out with two presentations and present to my peers a front of someone who not only is a solid professional but someone who knows their profession - education.  I'm also getting my head shaved - oh and painted.  

For the last six months(plus) I have been letting my hair grow and grow and grow, much to the consternation of family and friends - last week I was referenced as Sasquatch due the massive amount of untamed hair on my head and face - oh yeah, I forgot to mention the goatee that has now reached almost three inches in length.  

I promised my students earlier this year that they would be able to dye my hair the week of the shaving for St. Baldrick's day (see www.stbaldricks.org).  But St. Baldrick's is happening on Friday of that week and the hair dying is on Wednesday, the same day as my very professional meeting.  

For those of you who are unfamiliar with St. Baldrick's it is an organization that helps to fight childhood cancer.  Across the nation there are a number of organizations and groups that set out to raise money by organizing head shaving events for two reasons, to raise money and to de-stigmatize those kids who have to fight childhood cancer and may also be loose their hair. At the end of every fundraising year the organization puts out a complete list of what money was raised and where it went; very transparent and very open.  They are ranked very high in the percentage of money raised going to their mission as very little is used as 'administrative' costs - an easy way for many charities to raise money for the benefit of those raising the money.  St. Baldrick's is not like that at all. 

Those of you who know me, or can figure out what kind of person I am know that I plan on not even HESITATING about dying my hair, and then going to the professional meeting.  It's just not in my DNA to postpone that, nor is it to shirk my responsibilities to help fighting Childhood Cancer.  I have no problem looking the fool if it means I might be able to give another child a day with their parents.  It's worth all the laughing, silly comments I may get.  This is my commitment.  

What's yours? 

No comments:

Post a Comment